Transferring Credits

The GSC Team

Bar-Ilan University allows transfer students to have a portion of their credits recognized towards their degree. Transfer credits are authorized by the Status Office, and are granted based on the amount of class-hours required for the course.

There are various criteria that must be met for transfer credits to be recognized, as well as a maximum amount of credits that are allowed to be transferred.

Students transferring credits will be given a partial tuition refund upon graduating from BIU.

Transfer Credit Limits

Regardless of the amount of study completed in a previous institution, Bar-Ilan University requires that all students complete a minimum of 26 academic credits within the university itself. In addition, any other prerequisites to graduate (eg. English as a Second LanguageUlpanFundamentals of Judaic Studies Exam) still apply.

Furthermore, quotas exist for the different type of credits that may be transferred:

  1. Department Requirements

    Depending on their track, students are required to do a certain number of academic credits within their department at BIU. The minimum required credits per track are as follows:

    • Extended Major: At least 18 of 46 required credits.
    • Major (General): At least 12 of 30 required credits.
    • Unstructured Major: At least 11 of 27 required credits in each major.
    • Structured Major: At least 10 of 25 required credits in each major.

      Transfer credits past this quota will be counted as General Elective credits.

  2. Basic Judaic Studies Requirements

    Students are required to do at least 4 of 10 required credits in Bar-Ilan University. Transfer credits past this quota will be counted as General Elective credits.

  3. General Elective Requirements

    In general, there is no limit to the amount of General Elective credits one is able to transfer, and transfers that surpass the quotas of other required credit types will be automatically counted as General Elective credits. However, non-Jewish students who are required to take General Elective classes in place of Basic Judaic Studies must take a minimum of 6 required credits within Bar-Ilan University.

Recognition Criteria

In order to be recognized in Bar-Ilan University, transfer credits must meet a variety of criteria:

  1. General Electives

    All credits studied at a recognized institution are eligible to be transferred as General Elective credits. Students may also transfer over AP credits from the United States.

  2. Basic Judaic Studies

    All Judaic Studies credits studied at a recognized institution are eligible to be transferred as Judaic Studies credits. In addition students who studied in a post-high school Yeshiva or Midrasha are eligible for 4 academic credits per each year of study.

  3. Department Requirements

    For transfer credits to be recognized as Department Requirements, the course syllabi must cover the same topics. In the event the course syllabi don’t match, the course will be counted toward your General Elective requirements.

Grade Requirements

In general, for a class from a foreign institution to be recognized, students must have earned a 60 or above. However certain academic departments have their own minimum grade requirements for classes to be accredited towards a field of study. Additionally, Bar-Ilan is much more stringent about grade requirements from other Israeli institutions, and each school has its own minimum passing grade for BIU to recognize the transfer credits.

As such, it is recommended to consult with the Status Office in advance to transferring credits to determine the minimum grade requirements from your previous school.

Students from the United States or Canada who wish to transfer AP credits, must earn a 5 or 6 for the credits to be recognized.

Credit Valuation

Credits are awarded based on the course’s weekly hours per semester, with one academic hour per week (approx 45 minutes) being equal to one academic credit.

As a general rule, credits transferred from the United States or other institutions who use a 128 credits-to-graduate system can just be divided in half – a 3-credit course in the U.S. is worth 1.5 credits in Bar-Ilan.

When transferring credits for a Department Requirement, if the Bar-Ilan course is worth more academic credits than the amount being transferred, the student must make up the difference with a Department Elective. Conversely, if the course being transferred is worth more than the Department Requirement, the difference will be recognized as a Department Elective course.

Tuition Reimbursement for Transfer Credits

Upon graduating from Bar-Ilan University, students are eligible for tuition refunds based on the amount of credits transferred from foreign institutions:

  • Less than 9 credits – no refund.
  • 9-14.9 credits – 25% refund of the yearly cost of tuition.
  • 15-20.9 credits – 50% refund of the yearly cost of tuition.
  • 21-26.9 credits – 75% refund of the yearly cost of tuition.
  • 27 credits or more – 100% refund of the yearly cost of tuition.

How to Transfer Credits

To transfer credits from a recognized institution to Bar-Ilan University, you must do the following:

  1. Fill out and submit the transfer credit form.
  2. Attach copies of your transcript and other relevant documents:
    • Department Requirements and previous academic studies: a course syllabus.
    • Basic Judaic Studies exemptions for Yeshiva/ Midrasha study: a letter from your institution that includes your name, the start day and end day of your enrollment, and the amount of weekly hours studying.
      Note: If any of these are missing, your credits for Yeshiva/ Midrasha study will not be recognized!
    • AP Credits: An official test score. If transferring for a Department Requirement, include the test syllabus (available on the Collegeboard website) as well.

Credits should take two to four weeks to process, more during the beginning of the year.

If you are transferring credits for a class for which you are already registered, the class will be automatically removed from your schedule when the transfer credits are approved, so long as you have not taken the final examination.