June is upon us, and with it comes the humidity, apartment hunters, and as always, a bunch of events.
Here’s what’s going on this week in Givat Shmuel:
- It’s National Literacy Month in Israel, and Givat Shmuel is celebrating with a myriad of activities. There are workshops on origami, Israeli comics, and more; special story hours at the library; and famous authors giving lectures. The headlining event is a two-day literary-inspired Street Fair at Sderot Ha’Atzmaut starting June 13th, with street performers, puppet shows, art projects, plays and more. Best of all, its FREE!
- This weekend is our Monthly In-Shabbat, featuring a community Friday Night Oneg, and potluck meals for lunch. In addition, Minhal Hastudentim is hosting a Friday Night Dinner for students at the GSC House; contact your Tzevet Klita representative for details and signup.
- Here Next Year’s Roommate Spreadsheet is up! If you’re looking for roommates for next year, add your details, and check out the sheet.
- We’re debating hosting another BIU Finals Prep Night before the end of the semester. If you’re interested, let us know in the poll.
- The GSC is in the process of soft-launching an Event Supplies Gemach for the community, which will allow anyone who needs to rent tables, chairs, projectors, grills, and more for symbolic prices of just a few shekel a day. We’ll be writing up a separate post with more details shortly, but if you need to borrow something beforehand, send Dovid an email.
- Last Thursday, Givat Shmuel brought online its million-shekel CCTV system. These cameras will hopefully reduce the amount of thefts and break-ins, and also hinder the amount of teenagers and college kids hooking up and smoking weed in local parks. Somebody’s grandpa is pleased.
- As a reminder, starting today you will no longer be able to fill up your Rav Kav on Jerusalem buses. If you’re planning on trekking in, make sure your card is topped off.